Depicting original sketches, photographs and colorful new imagery, this poster captures the major milestones of the development in the field of seismology. Seismology's rich history begins with Robert Hooke's 1676 paper titled "True Theory of Elasticity or Springness" and continues through the 1830 discovery of P and S waves, the 1930's discovery of the inner core by Inge Lehman, and includes recent innovations such as shake maps, real-time collections of maps depicting shaking intensity within seconds of an earthquake.
- Seismology is a relatively young science that has developed as a result of both men and women, technology, and earthquakes.
To request hardcopies of E&O materials, please send an email to EandOproduct@iris.edu with the following information:
- Names of item(s) you are requesting along with respective quantities. Please list posters and one-pagers on separate lines.
- Full mailing address, including phone number, where the materials should be sent.
- Indicate what purpose the materials will be serving.
- Date materials are needed by (if applicable).
PLEASE NOTE: Time-sensitive requests must be sent at least three weeks beforethe date they are needed. When e-mailing a time-sensitive request, please write "Time-Sensitive Request" in the subject line.