How do P waves give information about Earth's core?
Animation addresses 5 common variations of P-type seismic body waves. All are compressive waves that travel through the Earth in all directions away from the epicenter of an earthquake. The different phases show how the initial P wave changes when encountering boundaries in the Earth
Information about Earth's deep interior is derived from seismic waves:
- P waves are compressive body waves that travel through solids and fluids
- P waves are the fastest seismic waves
- P waves are refracted at the mantle-outer core boundary
- P waves can create phase changes as they pass through changing material
- Phase changes yield information about the unseen interior of the Earth