What is the
The main sense of slip across a strike-slip fault is horizontal. But the movement can be right lateral (ground on opposite side of fault is moving right with respect to the other block) or left lateral (ground opposite moves left).
Wallace Creek segment of the San Andreas Fault is example of a right-lateral strike-slip fault. The entire San Andreas Fault has right-lateral motion with the Pacific Plate moving northwest along the eastern margin of the North American Plate.
- Motion along a strike-slip fault is horizontal
- Shear stress is acting on the blocks
- The fault surface is near vertical
- Stress can have right-lateral, or left-lateral motion.
- The San Andreas Fault is right-lateral