AS-1 Classroom Seismometer: Troubleshooting
Did I set up my AS-1 seismometer wrong?
This short tutorial covers common set-up errors for the AS-1 seismograph station.
This is what you watch AFTER setting up your seismometer according to instructions in the manual or in the group of AS-1 videos on how to set up, calibrate, and use the AS-1 seismometer.
- Check the knife edge, it needs to be razor sharp
- Clamp the bar if you move the station.
- Level the base plate in both directions
- Center the coil in the magnet
- Level the boom arm
- For oil damping, follow directions
- For magnetic damping, follow directions
- Put cover over instrument to prevent movement from air curents