This rollover compares the an earthquake of 1700 in the Pacific Northwest with the 2004 Sumatra earthquake and tsunami. The tectonic settings are similar.
VIEW the interactive in a separate tab, by clicking on "Open Resource". (Note some browsers lack the plugins for rollovers.)
OR click Download All. AFTER downloading, you can Open either:
- by using Flash player, or
- by clicking File > Open from within your browser, find the file on your computer, and it should open as an interactive file.
What do these subduction zones have in common?
- Both have volcanoes lined up parallel to the plate boundary
- Both have had Great earthquakes
- Both have faster moving oceanic plate diving beneath a slower plate
- Both have generated tsunamis that traveled across the Pacific Ocean