Learn how the Pacific Northwest tectonic setting and megathrust earthquake of January 1700 is similar to the catastrophic earthquake in Japan in 2011 by touching icons on this interactive map. Includes, location of Great earthquakes, volcanoes, direction of plate movement, subduction zone, rupture zone and tsunami extent.
VIEW the interactive in a separate tab, by clicking on "Open Resource". (Note some browsers lack the plugins for rollovers.)
OR click Download All. AFTER downloading, you can Open either:
- by using Flash player, or
- by clicking File > Open from within your browser, find the file on your computer, and it should open as an interactive file.
What do these subduction zones have in common?
- Both have volcanoes lined up parallel to the plate boundary
- Both have had Great earthquakes
- Both have faster moving oceanic plate diving beneath a slower plate
- Both have generated tsunamis that traveled across the Pacific Ocean