Seismic Wave Behavior: Effect on Buildings
- For background on this animation series, download Background from the Resources box.
- Animations are available for preview in embedded YouTube.
- To download, right click the 'Quicktime Animation' link and choose 'Save Target As' (PC) or 'Download Linked File' (Mac).
- Send us feedback.
Building Response to Seismic Waves
Animation to characterize behavior of three seismic waves. The seismogram shows the arrival times of the three generalized waves. This highly simplified cartoon is intended to portray:
1) Timing of the seismic waves (P fastest)
2) The time (x-axis on the seismogram) it takes for the seismic waves to travel from an earthquake about 80° away)
3) Different ways the seismic waves strike a building (P = bump; S = shear; surface = rolling wobble).
This image just shows a single body-wave path through the Earth to avoid cluttering the image. Waves travel in all directions from an earthquake.
Animations and videos are made in partnership with Earthscope, USGS, and Volcano Video & Graphics.
Please send feedback to Jenda Johnson.