Standing Committee Meeting Report Quality Assurance Advisory Committee

December 2018

Quality Assurance Advisory Committee Meeting

Winter Teleconference

Wednesday, December 19 , 2018

11:00 AM - 12:30 AM PDT (2:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT)

Topic Presenter

Roll Call and Introductions

V. Lekic (Chair)

Review of Action Items

V. Lekic

Ranking QA priorities: following up on the discussion of the “IRIS Quality Principles for Data Collection, Distribution, and Use

V. Lekic

Data request fulfillment reliability

V. Lekic

Noise-spectrogram web service

G. Sharer

MUSTANGular v2.0

G. Sharer

QA network reporting tools

L. Keyson

New Action Items and final comments

V. Lekic

















Action items:
2015-006: Recommend development of MATLAB interface for MUSTANG
Responsible: Tim Ahern
Status: On hold until resources can be found. Follow up in February to see if there is potential input from IS.

JUL2016-002: DMC will start generating network reports for the AK UU network. They will provide feedback to Mary Laura and the QA team at the DMC.
Responsible: Mary Templeton and Natalia Ruppert Laura Keyson
Status: UU network reports are now in progress for broadband and short period instruments, quarterly. IRIS does not have the manpower to produce these reports for every network, so we are moving forward to create tools that network operators can use to perform QA. An early version of the tools were distributed to the 11 networks that attended the "North American Seismic Network Training Workshop, Quality Assurance". We should be able to release a more final version of the tools in next 6 months. 

JUL2017-001: Reach out to National Strong Motion Center, Menlo Park, for suggestions on good quality assurance metrics for strong motion data.
Responsible: Mary Templeton and Vedran Lekic
Status: Mary contacted Chris Stevens and there is no concensus on metrics at this time. Will establish a channel of communication with NSMP (Chris Stevens and Lind Gee) to continue discussion and get recommendations when they become available. Recent emails to NSMP have received no response; will make another inquiry in January.

NOV2017-001 - Quality Principles Adherence review by future membership of QAAC.
Responsible: Bob Woodward
Status: This meeting discussed the poll that was sent out asking QAAC participants to rank QA priorities (based on the IRIS Quality Principles).  Will continue discussion next meeting.

DEC2018-001 - Distribute PASSCAL feedback outreach form/outbrief document for PIs and consider recommending questions regarding quality tools and practices employed.
Responsible: Kent Anderson

DEC2018-002 - Follow up at Spring Meeting to see who from the committee will be attending IUGG and can report back on progress with StationXML, specifically about additional description fields that can be used for quality assurance information
Responsible: Vedran Lekic

DEC2018-003 - Document the metrics/thresholds that the GSN is currently using, with the caveat that the details are still being worked out.
Responsible: Katrin Hafner

DEC2018-004 - Send DMC infomation about potential beta-testers for ROVER.
Responsible: Vedran Lekic