Standing Committee Meeting Report Global Seismographic Network
March 2002

IRIS GSN Standing Committee Meeting

21–22 March, 2002

Salt Lake City

Committee Members:  Barbara Romanowicz (chair), Harley Benz, Ray Buland (ex-officio), Adam Dziewonski, Jim Gaherty, Steve Grand, Gabi Laske, Jeroen Tromp, and Cecily Wolfe

Other Participants: Bob Hutt and Kent Anderson (ASL); Pete Davis and Christian Winther (IDA); John Filson (USGS); Goran Ekstrom (ExCom); Rhett Butler and Dave Simpson (IRIS)

On several occasions during the meeting, the discussion was focused on problems related to the data flow, archiving, and quality control of the GTSN and NSN components of the GSN.  Several specific Action Items relate to these issues:

  • GSNSC requests that all GSN data (including telemetered real-time data) should be archived at the DMC.

  • ASL should initiate a status report on AFTAC/USGS/IRIS data flow issues, as well as determine feasibility of obtaining low-gain data streams at GTSN stations.  In addition, these issues should be discussed at Co-Com.

  • GSNSC requests that Co-Com direct a re-evaluation of SEED in light of GSN/ANSS/NSN/PASSCAL needs, and a rough plan be formulated to initiate discussions at the next FDSN meeting in June, 2002.

  • J. Filson will write a letter/document that specifies the USGS intention that all of the NSN "backbone" data will be available to the community via the IRIS DMC. 

  • Co-Com should identify QC of the NSN data streams as a specific need that currently lacks funding from USGS and/or IRIS sources.  Several of these are University stations, and the issue thus cuts across GSN, DMS, and E&O.

Action Items associated with other issues:

  • GSNSC requests that DMC data-collection interface provide a warning regarding high noise levels on IRIS/IDA data that has not been corrected for the "MK7 Problem".

  • R. Butler, in conjunction with ASL and IDA, will compile background information for support of the GSN review. Materials are need from ASL/IDA/GSN by early June.

  • R. Butler and B. Hutt will continue working on a cost/benefit analysis of an improved O&M plan for the IRIS/USGS network.  The goal is to provide ASL with strong arguments for funding of O&M from USGS sources.

  • IRIS will move towards establishing an appropriate relationship between the GSN, the CTBTO, and member states.  This may include the eventual development of an MoU with Vienna. 

  • A group has been designated to formally construct an updated low-noise model.  Participants include B. Hutt, H. Bolton, G. Ekstrom, G. Laske, R. Butler, and B. Romanowicz and Bob Uhrhammer.

  • GSNSC encourages the USGS to continue to try to get KOWA up and running.

  • GSNSC encourages IDA to continue negotiating with the Russian government on waiving import duty on new datalogger for NRIL.  If current negotiations fail, P. Davis will approach B. Romanowicz and R. Butler for permission to initiate discussions on a possible one-time transfer of title to Russia for this “outdated” equipment, for noise tests at a possible new site nearby.

  • GSNSC approves providing an STS-2 seismometer for use at a proposed GSN/Geoscience Australia cooperative site on Macquarie Island.  GA will provide datalogger and all ongoing O&M support, and will provide GSN access to data.

  • GSNSC approves purchase of an ISTI box to provide CTBTO access to data from QSPA.