March 2004 Meeting Report

Data Management System Standing Committee meeting

ACTION ITEMS

March 11-12, 2004

NEIC -Golden, CO


USGS Data Annex

Ahern will produce initial draft, pass it to Benz for modification and then have the larger group of Nolet, Leith and Oppenheimer finalize the draft. Revised deadline for rough draft: July 2004

UH Data

Query indicated that only one person actually requests the UH data, so the DMSSC agrees that the data should be shut off by ASL and IDA.

Equipment for Non-GSN stations

Guust Nolet will contact Thorne Lay (chair of GSNSC) re: to see if the GSN would consider a small amount of funding for equipment at non-GSN stations from international partners that provide high quality data to the DMC. DPC from the CZ network is an example of stations that should be considered.

Announcing new types of data

A new page could be posted on the IRIS website, announcing new types of data that are available, and what type of quality control has been applied to them. The Broadband data center pages should be modified to include short descriptions of the QA process at each data center.

Timing Issues

Tim will talk with Ken Creager (Univ. of Wash.) about how to integrate the UW's travel time picking efforts into a method whereby timing quality of stations can be databased and used by the community.

Modification of RdSEED

RdSEED could be modified to allow users to eliminate (or select for) recognizable timing problems.

Timing Flags

Bruce will talk with PASSCAL about how the timing flags are set and communicate his findings back to the DMS.

International Data

Tim will contact Mexico and Canada regarding access to their data given the Earthscope project and the need for data beyond the US border.

Legacy Data

Ed Garnero, Doug Wiens, Pete Davis will draft a letter to Jim Dewey (USGS and Chair of the SSA "Ad Hoc Committee on Digital Archiving of Historical Seismological Data") regarding the minimum parameters required for IRIS to act as an archive for management and distribution of legacy data (scanned and digitized images).

DVD writer for DMC

Tim will explore purchasing a DVD stacker for the DMC to be used for data distribution.

Speaker for IRIS Workshop/ Then & Future Session

Tim and Doug Dodge will come up with suggestions for a speaker for the DMS portion of this session at this year's 20th Anniversary IRIS Workshop.

Moscow Data Center

Pete Davis will contact the individuals in Russia regarding the necessity of the line between Moscow and Obninsk.

Intern from Cayuga

Tim will work with Shane Ingate to pursue the idea of an intern from Cayuga coming to the DMC.

Data products

Anne Trehu will assemble a small committee (half a dozen) to prepare and organize a workshop this summer to define the ultimate USArray data products Anne Trehu will assemble a small committee (half a dozen) to prepare and organize a workshop this summer to define the ultimate USArray data products