The David Simpson Fund for Innovation was established in 2014 on the occasion of David Simpson’s retirement to provide the IRIS Consortium with a source of un-restricted funds that the IRIS Board of Directors can designate to provide seed funding for new initiatives or activities, increase community outreach, or leverage development of new resources for Consortium programs.
The Board is soliciting proposals for the use of Simpson Innovation Funds for one or more of the four potential areas:
- Supporting activities for student and early career scientists in seismology
- Expanding international engagement and capacity building
- Increasing visibility of seismology to the public
- Developing interactions with industry
A formal proposal should be no longer than 2 pages in length. It should include
- a description of the project and its potential impact,
- the relevance of the proposed work to the goals of IRIS and the Innovation Fund,
- a statement of work including deliverables and timeline, and
- a budget.
Proposals may be submitted by individual Consortium members or groups of members. These are not grants – the funds will remain with IRIS to support the proposed activity. The goal of this solicitation is to develop new initiatives or activities, not to offset shortfalls in funding for on-going programs. We anticipate funding proposals generally in the $20-30K range, although proposals up to $50K will be considered. Budgets may include materials, travel, participant support, IRIS staff time, and other necessary costs; only limited salary for participants not employed by IRIS or an IRIS subawardee/subcontractor will be considered.
Proposals should be submitted by September 1, 2020 to the Chair of the relevant IRIS Standing or Advisory Committee:
- PASSCAL (Beatrice Magnani, Chair)
- GSN (Colleen Dalton, Chair)
- Data Services (Suzan van der Lee, Chair)
- Education and Public Outreach (Kathy Ellins, Chair)
- International Development Seismology (Maureen Long, Chair)
- Polar (Leigh Stearns, Co-Chair; Paul Winberry, Co-Chair)
The Committees will review these proposals at their Fall meetings and may recommend up to 3 proposals to the Board of Directors for funding. Final funding decisions will be made at the November Board meeting.
Additional information on the Innovation Fund can be found on the David Simpson Fund for Innovation.
For information on potential programmatic budgets and costs, contact the appropriate IRIS Director:
Download the David Simpson Fund for Innovation solicitation.