Standing Committee Meeting Report Quality Assurance Advisory Committee

July 2019

Quality Assurance Advisory Committee Meeting

Summer Teleconference

Wednesday, July 31 , 2019

11:00 AM - 12:30 PM PDT (2:00 PM - 3:30 PM EDT)

Topic Presenter

Roll Call and Introductions

V. Lekic  (Chair)

Review of Action Items

* Update on QC metrics/thresholds currently used by GSN and discussion of how to effectively communicate these to community

* Discussion of PASSCAL feedback outreach/outbrief document for PIs and recommendations on questions regarding quality tools and practices employed

V. Lekic


J. Sweet

Discussion of FDSN QA

J. Carter

QA network reporting tools (QUARG)

L. Keyson

Proposed new metrics

* sample rate checks: miniseed vs metadata, miniseed vs. channel response curve

* maximum range: daily maximum value of difference between max and min across 300-second sliding window

M. Templeton

QA Updates

* Noise-pdf-browser availability endpoint

* Mustang Databrowser gap duration plots

G. Sharer

New Action Items and final comments

V. Lekic























Action items:
DEC2015-006: Recommend development of MATLAB interface for MUSTANG
Responsible: Jerry Carter
Status: funding may be available this year, if there is still a community need for it. 

JUL2016-002: DMC network QA reports and QuARG report tool development
Responsible:  Laura Keyson and Gillian Sharer
Status: The last quarterly UU network report will be produced in August. QuARG (Quality Assurance Report Generator) is a tool for creating network reports that is in development and will likely be released this year. Laura will give follow-up report at next meeting. Gillian will present QuARG at the NetOps workshop in October.
JUL2017-001: Reach out to National Strong Motion Center, Menlo Park, for suggestions on good quality assurance metrics for strong motion data.
Responsible: Mary Templeton and Vedran Lekic
Status: Another inquiry was sent in January, with no response. Ved will followup with Morgan to contact them again (Ved 08/07/19 - done).

NOV2017-001: Quality Principles Adherence review by membership of QAAC.
Responsible: Bob Woodward and Vedran Lekic
Status: This meeting discussed the PASSCAL outbrief form, GSN QA metrics use, and miniseed3 specifications. Ved will talk to PASSCAL committee about making QC information from the outbrief document public to the user community the way a cruise report is.

DEC2018-001: Distribute PASSCAL feedback outreach form/outbrief document for PIs and consider recommending questions regarding quality tools and practices employed.
Responsible: Kent Anderson
Status: Justin Sweet presented a powerpoint on PASSCAL feedback. He will add a question about how PI's orient their sensors to the outbrief document. 

DEC2018-002 - Follow up at Spring Meeting to see who from the committee will be attending IUGG and can report back on progress with StationXML, specifically about additional description fields that can be used for quality assurance information
Responsible: Vedran Lekic.  CLOSED

DEC2018-003 - Document the metrics/thresholds that the GSN is currently using, with the caveat that the details are still being worked out.
Responsible: Katrin Hafner
Status: Katrin presented a powerpoint on current status of GSN metrics use. Katrin will write a brief document specifying the list of QA metrics that GSN uses and what they look for when using these metrics for assessing network operations and quality.
DEC2018-004 - Data request fulfillment reliability. 
Responsible: Vedran Lekic
Status: ROVER has been released. Ved will post comments from testers to GitHub page.
JUL2019-001: Circulate survey regarding MATLAB interface for MUSTANG (we will need feedback by next week).
Responsible: Vedran Lekic (sent 08/08/19)

JUL2019-002: The Committee should look at the miniseed3 specification and offer comments as individual members. Comments should be sent to Chad Trabant.
Responsible: all committee members

JUL2019-003: Update on progress of FDSN QA
Responsible: Jerry Carter