Standing Committee Meeting Report Global Seismographic Network

March 2019

  1. Spring 2019 GSN Standing Committee Meeting

March 4 & 5, 2019  

Scripps Institution of Oceanography – Martin Johnson House (T-29)

La Jolla, California

In attendance:  In person: K. Hafner, D. Wilson, P. Davis, J. Park, C. Dalton (scribe), J. Berger, M. Vallee, C. Ammon, W. Yeck, J. Carter

On phone: C. Wolfe, N. Schmerr, C. Rowe, L. Waszek (afternoons from Australia)

ACTION ITEMS

Action Item (Davis & Wilson):  ASL and IDA should prepare a list of GSN stations for which vault sensors cannot be converted into postholes or boreholes.

Action Item (Hafner):  Draft a one-page summary of the vault-sensor-replacement problem and possible solutions. Send to Maggie Benoit. Also, update her more regularly so that this issue is near the forefront of her mind (i.e., should funds become available).

Action item (Park):  Update the charge in the Gesign Goals Committee document to reflect new dates and milestones. Get board approval for possible WG members not on the original document; perhaps this can be done over email.

Action item (Park):  Populate and charge the committee by May 1, 2019.

MEETING SUMMARY

Goals for this Meeting

  1. Create status update of GSN to send to NSF so they are up-to-date about the GSN program and the science it supports.
  2. Discuss the GSN design goals working group. We need to decide if these design goals will be the standard we require or the standard we aspire to.  The GSN Design Goals Charter and proposed membership have been approved by the IRIS BoD to create this working group.
  3. Evaluate the performance of borehole sensors in shallow posthole installations, and the possibility of extending these to GSN Vault Installations.  We are still grappling with the issue of how to replace aging VBB vault sensors (STS-1).
  4. Review the status of progress on recommendations made by the 2015 GSN External Review.

Discussions:

1) The meeting minutes and status of action items from the Fall 2018 meeting were reviewed and approved.

2) IDA, ASL, and  the GSN PM presented updated activity reports.

3) Review of GSN SAGE YR 1 Budget spending, and discussion of SAGE YR 2 potential budgets

4) GSN Metrics:  Reviewed the recommendations/findings from the Metrics Subcommittee.  Combine data availability with data continuity;  Look a noise characteristics at different frequency bands over year time periods;   Next metric to target is validation of "sensor orientations".

5) Review of Progress on Recommendations from the 2015 GSN External Review