Standing Committee Meeting Report Education and Public Outreach
IRIS Education and Outreach Standing Committee
September 26-27, 2008
- Michael Wysession (MW) will formulate a letter to Caroline Wagner at SRI to request additions to the external evaluation.
- Michael Hubenthal (MH) will investigate using previous interns to make presentations at HBCU's.
- Ines Cifuentes (IC) will contact Peter Weis at AGU to discuss potential collaborations on IRIS press releases and news.
- IC will help IRIS interns connect with AGU interns at the fall AGU meeting.
- Patrick McQuillan (PM) will make efforts to get IRIS links on appropriate Wikipedia pages.
- John Taber (JT) will see that Animations of the Month (AOTM) are reviewed by the E&O Standing Committee.
- Matt Toigo (MT) will add icons for each AOTM to the archive web page and Jenda Johnson will add the IRIS logo to the animations.
- MT will generate different icons for stations and events on the map view of the AS1 data sharing site so that maps print well in B&W.
- JT and RC will generate a "What is IRIS" powerpoint so that anyone who does workshops or presentations has a canned set of slides to introduce IRIS.
- MT will add a powerpoint page to the website. Someone/Everyone will find links to powerpoints on other sites, and internalize important presentations (e.g. What is IRIS).
- MT will complete creation of new IRIS image gallery.
- JT will contact Ben Coleman to get a more complete time-line and budget for proposed software development.
- JT will investigate long term support of REV.
- Glenn Kroeger (GK) will develop a mockup of a web based educational seismology application that could be backended by web work at DMS.
- GK will survey EAs and other contacts to develop ideas for successful workshops at GSA meetings
- JT will find ways to trim staff travel including using west coast staff and leveraging IRIS members for some events.
- PM will look for and add photos of female students doing science to the IRIS E&O website.
- JT will forward recommendations for panel members to NSF and recommendations for EO committee membership to IRIS Board.
- JT will contact Dine College to determine their continued interest in the EA program.
- JT and MT will investigate using web based discussion software to supplement/replace meetings.
- PM will poll IRIS members for research vignettes for the web site and also for submission to DBIS.
- PM will consider how to focus DL series on larger and more diverse audiences, including abandoning first-come/first-served scheduling.
- GK will contact Megan Anderson at Colorado College about EA program.
- IC and JT will arrange meeting with Association of Community Colleges to discuss potential collaboration.