Standing Committee Meeting Report Education and Public Outreach
IRIS Education and Outreach Standing Committee
September 26-27, 2007
- J. Taber: Contact Tina Niemi about SACNAS
- J. Taber: Contact Jim Davis about the display material his group is developing through Earthscope funding to determine how it might be used in the Active Earth Display.
- J. Taber: Include a budget broken down by program element in the next committee report.
- J. Taber: Organize a meeting at AGU to discuss plans for developing an Earth science literacy document. The document will include a list of fundamental principles of Geoscience that will be used by NSF to guide education standards.
- I. Cifuentes: Check if the plan for developing the atmospheric literacy document can be shared with IRIS E&O.
- M. Hubenthal: Develop a strategy for more IRIS participation in the regional NSTA organizations.
- M. Hubenthal, J. Taber: Begin plan for new REU proposal with help from committee members (due August 2008).
- New hire: Revise call for 2009 nominations by AGU, include clear information regarding venue of lectures, requirement that lecturers be in U.S. during lectureship.
- New Hire: Get statistics on age group distribution for Earth Science Week packet.
- M. Toigo: Investigate methods for converting AmaSeis to Java for running AS-1 on multiple platforms.
- R. Welti, M. Toigo: Report at next meeting about what is involved in maintaining the Spinet website and get some assessment of how it is used and what is its impact.
- J. Taber: Circulate tomography write-up to the committee for review.
- L. Serpa, K. Furlong, and M. Wysession: Prepare a list of topics in seismology that are new and not covered in textbooks.
- M. Hubenthal: Provide recommendation on the philosophy of the IRIS poster. He will send an email before the next meeting so that people will arrive with ideas for the next poster.
- J. Taber, M. Wysession: Submit session proposal on teaching seismology for the spring SSA meeting.
- M. Toigo and new hire: Post David Wald and Roger Bilham lectures on web as podcasts.
- New hire: Ask 2008 lecturers if they could either use public domain images in their presentations or request permission to display them on the web.
- New hire: Send full list of 2007 Distinguished Lecture sites to committee