Standing Committee Meeting Report Education and Public Outreach
IRIS Education and Outreach Standing Committee
September 28–29, 2006
- Hubenthal: Create mini-PowerPoint presentation
for faculty to advertise the IRIS internships.
- R. Welti,J. Taber: Museum Lite
- Determine cost for a new server for potentially high
- Create a seismicity map per continent for the Museum
- Explore potential for allowing user to interactively
request specific region using lat/long.
- Further consider dissemination to the community at large,
including schools and museums.
- M. Hubenthal: Bulk mail community about Earth Science
week materials created by IRIS.
- J. Taber: Contact C. Ammon about providing ideas for designs
for a virtual helicorder.
- J. Taber: Consider IRIS E&O representation at the Texas
state teachers association annual meeting, perhaps including
a keynote speaker. K. Ellins to provide contact information. Also
consider representation at annual meetings for the American
Indian Science and Education Society (AISES).
- M. Hubenthal: Contact HVO E&O personnel and pursue
the possibility of doing a teacher workshop associated with
the 2007 SSA meeting in Hawaii.
- P. Dore: Proceed with plans for USArray siting by students
and, perhaps, teachers. Will contact regional institutions,
including appropriate Educational Affiliates.
- J. Taber: Clarify list of outreach activities to
be supported in states where TA is installed and issue appropriate
- M. Hubenethal: Follow-up on two-pager documents (cutting
edge topics to be included in classes).
- M. Hubentthal: Follow-up on a meeting for affiliates
and potential for travel funding. Alternatively, may
host a get-together at another popular meeting amongst affiliates
such as GSA.
- L. Wetzal & M. Hubenthal: Create a list
of funding opportunities for educational affiliates and students. Post
the list on the IRIS websites with links directly to the
- M. Hubenthal: At the 2008 IRIS workshop have a forum
to talk about research with undergraduates.
- Reach out to IRIS internship hosts to discuss expectations.
- Invite all interested in undergraduate research.
- New Staff: Continue to generate a poster every 1-2
years. Topics will be solicited from the general
- New Staff and SpiNet: Post AS1 survey results on
the IRIS website after completing AS1 survey by contacting
- J. Taber: Go ahead with seismology education RFP after
making changes to budget and application details.
- J. Taber: Follow-up with SeisMac developer to enhance
user interface and determine if data can be stored and exported.
- J. Taber & M. Wysessions: Put together 4-5 page document
to highlight highly visible E&O successes for initial
discussions with NSF on assessment. All committee members
will be contacted to contribute.