Standing Committee Meeting Report Data Services

Februaury 2019

Previous DSSC Action Items

Action Items from the Fall 2018 DSSC Meeting

F2018:2 Develop a community letter supporting archiving historical data at the National Archives

Responsible: Dave Wilson

Status: Wilson spoke with the USGS Records Disposition Coordinator regarding a community letter in support of NARA accepting the WWSSN film chips.  He said he didn't think a letter is necessary at this time.  But if he hits a wall then he may be willing to consider it.

 

F2018:5 Develop video tutorials for MUSTANG clients and other tools related to data access. Perhaps consider engaging a UW student intern          

Responsible: Ahern

Status: Seeing if EPO Interns are a potential source of resources for this activity.  Initial discussions with both University of Oregon (Amanda Thomas) and Paul Bodin at the University of Washington have taken place.  Ahern is seeing if any funding can be found in the FY20 budget as an option, but this budget is rather difficult. There was no money found in the budget so it should be left as something to do if funds can be found.

 

F2018:7 Prioritize any potential SAGE II Yr1 carryover from IS and DS for Matlab interfaces to MUSTANG metrics: Take to CoCom to coordinate with IS

Responsible: Stump/Ahern

Status: There was no money found in the budget therefore it should be left as something to do if funds can be found.

 

Action Items from the Spring 2019 DSSC Meeting

S2019:1 Reach out to Cliff Thurber about the 75 terabyte DAS data set he has after the new data policy is approved.

Responsible: Carter

 

S2019:2 Update the document on DS strategic priorities, circulate to the DSSC and DSSC members for comment. After review take to the CoCom and board as an informational item.

Responsible: Carter/DSSC

 

S2019:3 Send the reviews of the NGEO proposal, or at least the panel summary, to the DSSC.

Responsible: Ahern

Status: Done Feb 26, 2019

 

S2019:4 Prepare a Briefing Book for the NSF Data Services review paying attention to the committee’s direction.

Responsible: Ahern/Carter

 

S2019:5 Remove replicated data from selected European data centers per their request and inform the board that DS is moving ahead (include in CoCom report). There is an understanding that further coordination will take place in FDSN WGIII.

Responsible: Carter/Ahern

 

S2019:6 Summarize the usage of the EARS system and revisit the topic of supporting this system at the Fall DSSC meeting.

Responsible: Trabant

 

S2019:7 Develop draft guidelines about the types of derived data sets that might be useful to the community in the sense of extending the types of products we manage in the future for consideration at the Fall 2019 meeting.

Responsible: Stump/Carter/Trabant

 

S2019:8 Send the QAAC chair (Ved) a note to see if there is anything he needs from the DSSC.

Responsible: Stump/Carter

 

S2019:9 Respond to NSF SAGE Program Manager regarding data workshops. Revise and send the draft letter on the value of data workshops. Identify the reasons for multiple attendees from the same organization.

Responsible: Stump/Ahern

 

S2019:10 Decision: Both Data Services budgets (the flat at SGYR1 level and the one with a 2% increase) were approved.

 

S2019:11 Decision: The Data Acceptance Policy from Datasets from Temporary Deployments was approved in principle. Present the policy to the PASSCAL standing committee for discussion and endorsement.

Responsible: Carter

 

S2019:13 Coordinate with UNAVCO’s DS committee chair to meet jointly with the DSSC on the Friday October 11, 2019 in Portland (after the IRIS/UNAVCO workshop). The DSSC would meet alone on the 12th.

Responsible: Stump

 

S2019:14 Take a plan for the deprecation of full SEED to the CoCom as a well-documented informational item. The deprecation should be completed by the end of 2019. Announce the deprecation broadly using the IRIS message center list as well as a DS newsletter article.  Make sure to inform DSSC if any major objections arise.

Responsible: Carter/ Benson/Stump

 

S2019:15 Draft a document that discusses derivative PH5 products that the DSSC should consider. Consider a SIG at the IRIS workshop.

Responsible: Lin/Thomas

 

Brief Meeting Summary

The meeting started by welcoming Jerry Carter at the new Director of Data Services (DS) after a worldwide search and thanking Tim Ahern for building the Division into a world-class facility through his dedication and hard work.

The Director reported that Data Services is in a good position to ingest large data volumes expected from nodal experiments as well as continuous data from networks around the globe. While MUSTANG quality metrics cannot yet be computed for the PH5 data in the repository, the data are available to the community and to PASSCAL PIs.  DS staff are working diligently to optimize the interfaces to the PH5 storage in order to efficiently produce the related MUSTANG metrics.

An update to the Data Acceptance Policy for Datasets from Temporary Deployments was presented to the committee for review and was approved for advancement to the CoCom. The revised policy addresses input from the PASSCAL standing committee (which will review the policy in their meeting) and is intended to ensure that very large datasets from temporary experiments can be archived and managed in perpetuity. While very large datasets will be assessed a one-time fee to cover the costs of physical storage, most PASSCAL experiments would not exceed the data volume threshold that would trigger a fee.

While archiving such large datasets is now possible, distribution remains a problem, and committee discussed the need for derived datasets that may facilitate use of the archived data. This discussion will continue in the Fall.

A review of the IRIS and UNAVCO DS will be conducted by NSF sometime in the Summer.  The committee discussed the pending review at length and provided guidance for coordinating with UNAVCO and for preparing the briefing material that will be presented to NSF.

The DMC must move this summer to a site roughly 3 miles North of the current location.  The building that houses the existing office space was put up for sale and there were no guarantees that new owners would extend the lease. The servers have been moved into the University of Washington (UW) computer facility and preparations are being made for the move. Moving costs should be minimal and no reduction in service is anticipated. However, the recurring costs of rent, hosting all servers at UW, and communications links between the new offices and UW will increase and have a budgetary impact.

The proposed FY2020 budgets were presented to the committee and were approved.  They will be submitted to the IRIS CoCom and to the BoD.

DS announced its intention to deprecate full SEED by the end of 2019. Approval to do so had already received Board approval. A plan for informing the community and for supporting users during the transition is being developed and will be overseen by the committee.

A discussion was held with Paul Richards and Lorraine Hwang about archiving legacy data in the form of scanned images. Support could be provided for such efforts in establishing standards for scanned images, developing an infrastructure for providing access to such images and working on a storage cost structure.

The committee agreed that face-to-face meetings were more productive and plan to hold their next meeting following the joint IRIS/UNAVCO October workshop in Portland,  Oregon. The committee will take advantage of the fact that the UNAVCO DS committee will also be in attendance and devote a half day to a joint meeting.