Standing Committee Meeting Report Data Services
March 14-15, 2002
Kohler (Committee Chair), Tim Ahern, Stuart Sipkin, Bob Detrick, Doug Dodge,
David Okaya, Ed Garnero, Bruce Beaudoin (PASSCAL), Shane Ingate, Göran
Ekström (EXCOM), Harold Bolton, Pete Davis, Leanne Rubin
- The DMS Standing Committee has completed the DMS Self Study (final version
was approved at this meeting). This document will be maintained as a living
document on the IRIS website (updated annually).
- The primary DMC request tools will be identified, and continue to be actively
supported and promoted on the IRIS website. The DMC should discontinue
active support and promotion of infrequently used tools (though they may continue
to be available to users who know about them, as long as they do not require
excessive IRIS resources). Notice of this policy should be placed in the DMS
- It was noted that ASL, IDA and the University of Washington are all making
picks on IRIS data. Ed Garnero and David Okaya will write up some concrete
ideas regarding what types of new picks could be made available to the community
as part of DMSSC activities.
- Tim Ahern and Monica Kohler will compose a letter to the COCOM, providing
reasons to change or enforce the current policies regarding PASSCAL data submission
- Waveform Quality Control RFP. Because of the changing methods of data submission
(as well as new data sources), the quality control needs at the DMC have changed.
The IRIS DMC will be requesting proposals for the development of specific
Quality Control Modules to monitor and estimate data quality from a variety
of seismological sources. The committee has been asked to submit input to
Tim Ahern and Bruce Weertman at the DMC prior to the announcement of the RFP
(tentatively in June 2002).
- The DMC should present a poster at this summer's IRIS workshop focused on
the Quality Assurance Project.
- Send out announcement to Object-Oriented BOOT Camp applicants that there
was not enough interest to move forward with the program. It may be
more appropriate to consider having the BOOT Camp in another year or so.
- The DMSSC was quite enthusiastic about the Data Handling Interface (DHI).
The committee recommends generating a DHI Tutorial emphasizing how one can
get started developing in this environment.
- In the meeting packet was a draft letter from IRIS to John Filson at the
USGS, regarding continuing cooperation and expanded interactions between IRIS
and the USGS. The committee was asked to contribute suggestions regarding
this letter of support.
- By April 1, the committee was to submit of list of interactions between
IRIS and the USGS.
- Expand IRIS Glossary of Acronyms to include some short (one-line) descriptions.
Committee can suggest additions.
- Prepare draft of DMS Strategic Plan by the end of August 2002.
- Attendees of this DMS Committee meeting who will be attending the Earthscope
IT meeting in late March (David Okaya, Harold Bolton) were asked to provide
a summary report.
- Tim Ahern will circulate an updated document related to the DMS portion
of the USArray project that has incorporated committee suggestions (before
COCOM, April 11).