We are excited to receive applications from students representing the full spectrum of society, as well as student with lived experiences such as students with disabilities, veterans, and non-traditional students!
- As a result of funding from the National Science Foundation, this program is only available to citizens or permanent residents of the United States or its possessions
- Applicants must have completed their freshman year but may not graduate the spring semester prior to the summer internship (sophomores and juniors are strongly encouraged to apply).
- DEADLINE: All application materials must be received by February 10th with letters of recommendation due by February 15th, annually.
- Excitement to apply your math and physics skills to study Earth and beyond!
- 3.0 GPA
- Two semesters of both Math & Physics
- Prior experience or coursework in seismology or geophysics is not a requirement
- Computer programming (Matlab, Mathmatica, C++, Java etc) is a plus
*While we have created a list of minimum qualifications for the program, there is no single path to geophysics. Thus, the selection committee is interested in your training in physics, math, geoscience and computer skills and takes holistic approach to the selection process.
Special Notice for Summer 2023 :The IRIS Undergraduate Internship program has been renamed URISE - Undergraduate Research Internships in SEismology as part of IRIS' transition to a new organization called EarthScope. Beyond the name change, we are not anticipating any significant changes to the program at this time.
To Apply : The application process for summer 2023 is now CLOSED.
- Download the Application as a .doc file, and COMPLETE IT OFFLINE FIRST.
- Download an unofficial version of your transcript for upload into our system (.pdf or .doc only are accepted by the system). An unofficial transcript should list your coursework for all terms, the number of credits earned, and the grades for each course.
- Once your offline application is completed, navigate to our ONLINE APPLICATION to cut an paste your responses into the form and upload the .pdf or .doc of your transcript.
- Send the custom URL generated when you complete your application to your 2 references so they may submit letter of recommendation electronically. Letters of recommendation are due by February 15th annually.
Decisions for all students will be made by approximately the end of March annually. To help ensure a strong match between interns and hosts, when possible, accepted interns will be able to select a project that most interests them. The matching of interns and projects will take place between March 15 and March 30th, annually. Specific end dates for individual projects, travel and financial arrangements will be negotiated between the host and the accepted interns.
For more information please contact Justin Sweet, email@example.com