Open Until: 08/31/2022
The IRIS PASSCAL Instrument Center at New Mexico Tech is seeking applicants to fill the position of Staff Scientist/Software Engineer. Primary responsibility is to support software engineering projects both in the lab and in the field.
The software engineer’s core responsibility is to develop and maintain software that is used on or to facilitate seismological experiments. IRIS PASSCAL software includes tools to: interface with seismic data loggers, test equipment, convert between data formats, analyze state-of-health information, manage inventory and maintenance, and schedule equipment. The software engineer will also be responsible for providing user support to both PASSCAL staff and the IRIS community. The software engineer will have opportunities to conduct training and do seismological fieldwork.
- Bachelor’s degree required area of study, Science or Engineering.
- Demonstrated programming ability required.
- Understanding of Computer Architecture, Operating Systems, and Data Structures required.
- Working knowledge of Python required.
- Working knowledge of functional and object oriented programming required.
- Participation in source code and design reviews desired.
- Familiar with UI toolkits and frameworks desired.
- Experience with Revision Control Systems e.g Git desired.
- Experience with TDD desired.
- Experience with continuous integration and continuous development desired.
- Familiarly with software packaging and distribution e.g. Conda & Pip desired.
- Seismological or Geophysical field experience desired.
Applicants should submit a resume, official college transcripts, a letter of professional interests, and the names and addresses, email addresses, and phone numbers of three references to: New Mexico Tech, Human Resources, 801 Leroy Place, Brown Hall Box 053, Socorro, New Mexico 87801 , or email application and include job title as subject line to: email@example.com. The position will be open until filled.