Open Until: 07/24/2021
*Software Engineers I/II/III - Remote Work Options Available*
Tracking Code: 212-532
UNAVCO, Inc. is accepting applications to fill four (4) *Software Engineer*
positions at the Engineer I, II or Engineer III level.
*Application Process: *Applications will only be accepted via UNAVCO's
career website (*https://unavcocareers.silkroad.com)
May 24, 2021 and will continue until positions are filled.
*Location: *UNAVCO supports a robust remote work environment, while the job
is located in Boulder, alternate work locations will be considered.
Salary: Based on candidate’s qualifications within the established UNAVCO
Engineer I $ 59,464 - $ 89,196
Engineer II $70,752 - $106,128
Engineer III $78,288 - $117,432
*Benefits: * UNAVCO offers very competitive benefits including Medical,
Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Supplemental Benefits, 4 weeks Paid Time
Off (PTO), and a retirement plan with a 10% employer contribution.
*Where You Will Work:*
UNAVCO maintains and operates the Geodetic Facility for the Advancement of
Geoscience (GAGE) which provides support to the National Science Foundation
(NSF) investigator community for geodesy, Earth Sciences research,
education and workforce development with broad societal benefits. As part
of GAGE, UNAVCO operates a large network of geodetic instruments (primarily
GNSS) and a world class data facility and archive. This facility supports a
broad range of applications from the study of plate tectonics and
earthquakes to real-time precise vehicle navigation and fiducial networks.
For over three decades, UNAVCO has spearheaded the utilization of
cutting-edge technologies in geodesy while providing robust operational
support for researchers exploring the solid Earth (earthquakes, volcanoes,
plate tectonics), the hydrosphere (deformation of ice, the Earth's response
to groundwater, sea level change), and the atmosphere. Our instrumentation
toolbox includes high-precision GPS/GNSS, lidar and optical imagery,
synthetic aperture radar (SAR), borehole geophysics, and more.
*What You Will Do:*
UNAVCO *Software Engineers* are responsible for design, development,
implementation, testing and documentation for components of software
systems that support the following functions: data collection, data flow,
data archiving, database interaction, web-based data/metadata search and
access, interoperability, quality control, formatting, pre-processing and
UNAVCO is currently transitioning to a new cloud-native architecture, with
design components that include Docker, Apache Kafka, TimeScaleDB, and
Elasticsearch that will be deployed in a hybrid of commercial cloud and
academic cloud and HPC environments. We also operate legacy applications in
a VMWare private cloud environment. We anticipate a rapidly evolving future
that necessitates adoption of new technologies and technology stacks.
The Software Engineers will apply their skills and full understanding of
industry practices, community standards and relevant policies and
procedures to projects of variable complexity and scope as a function of
grade (Software I/II/III). They will resolve a wide range of issues, and
demonstrate competency in selecting tools, methods and techniques to obtain
These new positions will primarily focus on enabling the Data Services team
to transition to a fully cloud native architecture. This includes but is
not limited to:
- Containerization of the databases used to store all the metadata about
our data holdings and networks to support scalability, interoperability,
- Containerization and optimization of applications for the extraction,
translation, quality control, and delivery of data holdings.
- Build analysis ready, cloud-native, data stores of UNAVCO’s various
classes of data types.
- Provide guidance on cloud architecture from design to deployment and
- Design, develop, implement and support software systems.
- Participate on software and program teams in defining strategic
directions, standards, and timelines, and identifying key technologies for
evolving complex software systems.
- Follow internal software development, testing and documentation
methodologies, policies, and best practices to ensure a robust software
development environment is maintained.
- Test and document software components.
- Participate in joint analysis and design activities with other staff
in defining directions, standards and timelines; identifying key
technologies for evolving software systems.
We welcome applications from early career software engineers who would like
to pursue a career in the fields of cloud computing and big data analysis.
*Applicable Skills / Core Competencies: *
- Knowledge of software engineering, including development, staging, and
production environments for deployment
- Knowledge of languages such as SQL, Python, C++, Java
- Demonstrated ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
Self-motivated and works well both independently and as part of a team.
- Working knowledge of containerization and orchestration technologies
(e.g. Docker swarm, k8s, Mesos, Rancher, DC/OS).
- Cloud architecture, deployment, and provisioning technologies (e.g.
Terraform, Ansible, Libcloud).
- Streaming/messaging systems and protocols (e.g. Kafka, Pulsar, ZeroMQ).
- Time-series oriented databases (e.g. TimescaleDB, Elasticsearch).
- Object storage and distributed file system technologies.
- Commercial, private and/or academic cloud deployment and optimization
- FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data
- Previous experience with geospatial, geodetic, or earth observation
data and libraries.
*What You Need:*
- Software Engineer I - Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science,
Information Systems or related field and one year software development
- Software Engineer II - Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science,
Information Systems or related field and four years software engineering
- Software Engineer III - Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science,
Information Systems or related field and six years software development
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization within the
UNAVCO is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action
employer. UNAVCO values diverse perspectives and backgrounds in all
positions within the organization and is fully committed to achieving a
diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and State laws, and
regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. Women,
Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities and members of the BIPOC and
LGBTQIA+ communities are encouraged to apply. All qualified and complete
applications will be considered. Individuals with a disability needing an
accommodation as part of the employment selection process should contact
HR@unavco.org or 303-381-7515.
UNAVCO supports a safe work environment for all staff. As part of our
commitment, UNAVCO conducts background checks. UNAVCO complies with the
Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Human Resources Administrator
6350 Nautilus Drive
Boulder CO 80301