Software Engineer IRIS Data Services
IRIS Data Services
The Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology (IRIS) seeks an experienced Software Engineer at the IRIS Data Management Center (DMC) in Seattle, Washington. This is an excellent opportunity for a motivated self-starter to be part of an international seismological data center. Our center is responsible for archival and dissemination of large-scale geophysical datasets to the scientific community. This position supports the always-on web services and cross-platform applications that scientists and the public use to access data. This is a key position in a unique data center supporting a very broad audience of users. We offer competitive salaries, an excellent benefits package, and a terrific work atmosphere.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assume software development tasks to support web services for terabyte-scale data archive curation, transformation, and delivery.
- Detect and troubleshoot issues as they occur to ensure maximum uptime for customers.
- Create solutions to increase scalability, speed, and resilience of software stacks that carry out a wide array of data-intensive operations.
- Work with other team-members to design and implement complex systems that draw on a variety of skill sets.
- Communicate with the seismic community to ensure a healthy partnership of data engineering serving scientific research.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
The minimum level of education and experience for this position includes:
- Bachelors degree in Computer Science, Earth Science, or similar technical field and/or equivalent professional experience.
- More than five (5) years of experience in software development with demonstrated achievement in specific areas.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL, and ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Hands-on experience with Linux operating systems as well as scripting languages including Linux shell and Perl.
- Strong skills in languages like C/C++, Java, and/or Python
- Experience with relational database systems, SQL, and connectors like JDBC and psycopg.
- Experience with software frameworks such as Spring and Django is a plus.
- Familiarity with automated build and test from svn or git.
- Knowledge of software lifecycle processes and software design methodologies.
- Expertise working with technical and scientific data.
- Good communication skills with team members and end users.
- Can provide effective estimates of work and completes tasks within established timetables and specifications.
Candidates should submit a letter of interest and a resume highlighting pertinent work experience by May 3, 2019 to email@example.com with the subject line "IRIS Software Engineer".
IRIS is a consortium of over 120 US universities dedicated to the operation of science facilities for the acquisition, management, and distribution of seismological data. For more information on IRIS, consult http://www.iris.edu.
IRIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
IRIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to diversity and creating an inclusive workplace where all employee's backgrounds, talents and contributions are valued. If you require an accommodation to navigate or apply to our employment site, please send your request to: Human Resources
or call (202) 682-2220.