Open Until: 10/21/2022
UNAVCO, Inc. is accepting applications to fill one *Software Engineer* position at the Engineer II or Software Engineer III level.
*Tracking Code:* 238-532
*Application Process:* Applications will only be accepted via UNAVCO's career website (https://www.unavco.org/careers/). Application review begins *Tuesday, July 5, 2022* and will continue until filled.
*Location:* UNAVCO is based in Boulder, Colorado but supports remote and hybrid work arrangements.
*Salary:* Based on candidate’s qualifications within the established UNAVCO salary ranges:
● Software Engineer II $72,200 - $108,300
● Software Engineer III $82,200 - $127,500
*Benefits:* UNAVCO offers very competitive benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability, Supplemental Benefits, 4 weeks Paid Time Off (PTO) that increases after two years employment, and a retirement plan with a 10% employer contribution.
UNAVCO maintains and operates the Geodetic Facility for the Advancement of Geoscience (GAGE) which provides support to the National Science Foundation (NSF) investigator community for geodesy, Earth Sciences research, education and workforce development with broad societal benefits. As part of GAGE, UNAVCO operates a large network of geodetic instruments (primarily GNSS) and a world class data facility and archive. This facility supports a broad range of applications from the study of plate tectonics and earthquakes to real-time precise vehicle navigation and fiducial networks.
For over three decades, UNAVCO has spearheaded the utilization of cutting-edge technologies in geodesy while providing robust operational support for researchers exploring the solid Earth (earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics), the hydrosphere (deformation of ice, the Earth's response to groundwater, sea level change), and the atmosphere. Our instrumentation toolbox includes high-precision GPS/GNSS, lidar and optical imagery, synthetic aperture radar (SAR), borehole geophysics, and more.
*What You Will Do*
UNAVCO *Software Engineers* are responsible for design, development, implementation, testing and documentation for components of software systems that support the following functions: data collection, data flow, data archiving, database interaction, web-based data/metadata search and access, interoperability, quality control, formatting, pre-processing and visualization. These are exempt positions.
UNAVCO is currently transitioning to a new cloud-native architecture, with design components that include Docker, Kubernetes, Apache Kafka, TileDB, TimeScaleDB, and Elasticsearch that will be deployed primarily on Amazon Web Services. We also operate legacy applications in a VMWare private cloud environment. We anticipate a rapidly evolving future that necessitates adoption of new technologies and technology stacks.
The Software Engineers will apply their skills and full understanding of industry practices, community standards and relevant policies and procedures to projects of variable complexity and scope as a function of grade (Software I/II/III). They will resolve a wide range of issues, and demonstrate competency in selecting tools, methods and techniques to obtain results.
This new position will primarily focus on enabling the Data Services team to transition to a fully cloud native architecture.
- Containerization of the databases used to store all the metadata about our data holdings and networks to support scalability, interoperability, and reproducibility.
- Containerization and optimization of applications for the extraction, translation, quality control, and delivery of data holdings.
- Build analysis ready, cloud-native, data stores of UNAVCO’s various classes of data types.
- Design, develop, implement and support software systems.
- Participate on software and program teams in defining strategic directions, standards, and timelines, and identifying key technologies for evolving complex software systems.
- Follow internal software development, testing and documentation methodologies, policies, and best practices to ensure a robust software development environment is maintained.
- Test and document software components.
- Obtains and analyzes software systems requirements.
- Debugs and maintains legacy code.
- Participate in joint analysis and design activities with other staff in defining directions, standards and timelines; identifying key technologies for evolving software systems.
● May work directly with Engineers in the Geodetic Infrastructure Directorate to debug and resolve issues with software programs.
● May contribute to authoring technical reports and publications and may present at conferences.
● Other duties may be assigned as necessary for the successful operation of the business.
We welcome applications from early career software engineers who would like to pursue a career in the fields of cloud computing and big data analysis.
*Supervision and Leadership*
● Has frequent communication with, and direct supervision by, Software Engineer IV for instruction and guidance.
● Work is reviewed for accuracy and overall quality.
● Works with and supports other UNAVCO staff while working on projects.
● This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
*Applicable Skills / Core Competencies*
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability for the position:
● Working knowledge of software development tools such as wikis, trouble ticketing systems, continuous testing/integration, and Git.
● Ability to apply the software lifecycle to projects.
● Ability to take initiative to learn new skills, current best practices, technologies and trends affecting software systems.
● Ability to write organized and comprehensive documentation on projects.
● Understanding of object oriented and functional programming.
● Demonstrated ability to learn effectively and meet deadlines.
● Self-motivated and works well both independently and as part of a team.
● Fosters a professional culture through the use of strong interpersonal skills, verbal and written communications.
*Required Education and Experience*
● Software Engineer II - Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Information Systems or related STEM field and three (3) years of experience in software development. OR a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related STEM field and one (1) year of experience in software development.
● Software Engineer III - Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related STEM field and six (6) years of experience in software development. OR a Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems or related STEM field and three (3) years of experience in software development.
● Knowledge of software engineering, including development, staging, and production environments for deployment.
● Knowledge of languages such as Java, Python, C++, Node.js.
● Working knowledge of containerization and orchestration technologies (e.g. Docker swarm, Kubernetes, Mesos, DC/OS).
● Streaming/messaging systems and protocols (e.g. Kafka, Pulsar, RabbitMQ, MQTT, ZeroMQ, Flink, Google Pub/Sub).
● Data serialization, standardization, and translation. (e.g. AVRO, JSON, Protobuf, bit level manipulation).
● Microservices and microservice database design. (e.g. FastAPI, Flask, Django, PostgreSQL).
● Using GitLab feature branch development, pipelines and deploying applications to test and production environments
● Object storage, distributed file systems, and cloud native formats (e.g. TileDB, HDF5, STAC S3 Buckets).
● Commercial, private and/or academic cloud deployment and optimization
● Knowledge and familiarity with geodetic and seismic data.
● FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable) data principles.
● Previous experience with geospatial, geodetic, or earth observation data and libraries.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
● Ability to sit and/or stand to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
● Ability to move about a typical office environment on a daily basis.
● Ability to lift and move up to 10 pounds occasionally.
● Occasional travel by conventional means including aircraft, public transportation, and motor vehicles.
● Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions.
● Ability to organize and prioritize work schedules for self and others.
● Ability to compute, analyze and interpret data.
● Ability to make decisions which have moderate impact on the function and UNAVCO.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization within the United States.
UNAVCO is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer. Our long-term success depends on the development of a forward-looking, diversified workforce. UNAVCO values diverse perspectives and backgrounds in all positions within the organization and is fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and State laws, and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. UNAVCO encourages applications from candidates who are members of historically underrepresented groups. This includes candidates from different socioeconomic backgrounds, candidates with disabilities, candidates with unique life experiences, etc. Women, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities and members of the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities are encouraged to apply. All qualified and complete applications will be considered. Individuals with a disability needing an accommodation as part of the employment selection process should contact HR@unavco.org or 303-381-7515.
UNAVCO supports a safe work environment for all staff. As part of our commitment, UNAVCO conducts background checks. Background checks will vary and are based on position requirements. Background checks may include but are not limited to, criminal history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history and/or education verification. Background checks may also be conducted when required by law or when at the discretion of UNAVCO is reasonable and prudent to do so. UNAVCO complies with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
Vaccination Requirements: All employees are required to be
fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of the employee’s duty location or work arrangement (e.g., telework, remote work, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If offered employment, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your appointment or onboarding with UNAVCO. Information about requesting a medical or religious accommodation/exemption should be directed to Human Resources at *firstname.lastname@example.org
Please share this with your fellow peers!!!