Seismic Data Quality Control (QC) Analyst
KBRwyle Technology Solutions
Open Until: 01/01/2019
Title: Seismic Data Quality Control (QC) Analyst
Job Number: 1074107
Location: Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory, Albuquerque, NM, US
KBRwyle Technology Solutions, under contract to US Geological Survey at the
Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory (ASL), is seeking a Seismic Data
Quality Control (QC) Analyst to review seismological waveforms and other
digital time series data for quality control to detect abnormalities and
coordinate with field staff to correct the abnormalities.
Relocation assistance may be available for qualified candidates.
· Use various monitoring tools to check timing, orientation and
gain of seismic sensors and identifies possible station health issues
through the analysis of the seismic waveform data.
· Provides this analysis to field engineering personnel and aids in
the determination of station failure cause, and aids in providing
recommended repair actions.
· Relay issues to maintenance technicians using an established
problem ticketing system.
· Run calibrations according to the calibration schedule for US and
GSN stations, as well as for sensor testing on-site at ASL.
· Analyze calibration data and organize results.
· Determine metadata accuracy from co-located seismic instruments
using established comparison mechanisms.
· Performs routine maintenance by remotely logging into stations to
provide seismic system centering, lock/unlock, and diagnose problems and
· Provides specifications and guidance to software developers to
improve existing programs.
· Assists government employee research projects by providing data
analysis and peer review of results as a part of publishable papers and
About the Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory (ASL):
We install, operate, and maintain the US Geological Survey component of the
Global Seismographic Network (GSN), the backbone of the Advanced National
Seismic System (ANSS), the Central Eastern United States Network (CEUSN),
as well as a number of regional seismic networks. Along with operating
these networks, the ASL ensures the quality and integrity of the data.
GSN and ANSS data is used for real-time seismic monitoring by the USGS
National Earthquake Information Center (NEIC), for tsunami warnings by the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Tsunami Warning
Centers, for nuclear test monitoring by the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty
Organization (CTBTO) and the US Air Force, and for scientific research. Our
scientific research on earthquake processes, Earth structure and other
geophysical problems is used by a broad community of international users.
· BS in STEM field and 0 - 2 years of related experience in
waveform data analysis. In lieu of degree, 8 years related experience will
· Ability to analyze digitized data for the purposes of recognizing
seismic events and for recognizing proper seismic station operation.
· Experience with a scientific programming language (e.g. Python or
MATLAB) as well as the ability to navigate through a terminal environment
(e.g. Linux or Unix).
· Willingness to learn new systems, technologies, and geophysical
· Strong organizational skills.
· Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with
technical and scientist user groups.
· US Citizenship.
- Experience using general shell scripting and seismic data analysis
- Experience working with seismic instrumentation or collecting seismic
- Experience with data analysis in both the time and frequency domains.
Apply online at:
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion,
disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age,
national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or
beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local
IRIS is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to diversity and creating an inclusive workplace where all employee's backgrounds, talents and contributions are valued. If you require an accommodation to navigate or apply to our employment site, please send your request to: Human Resources or call (202) 682-2220.