Open Until: 01/31/2023
What You Will Do
The Earth and Environmental Sciences (EES) Division at Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) has an immediate opening for a postdoctoral research associate in geophysics. We seek a creative and resourceful candidate with strong background and interest in earthquake physics and seismic hazard. The successful candidate will apply existing and develop new techniques to characterize fault systems and seismic risk, with applications to induced seismic risk assessment related to subsurface injection. The term of the appointment is two years, with the option to extend to a third year depending on performance and funding availability.
What You Need
Minimum Job Requirements:
* Strong background in geophysics with research experience in seismic data analysis
* Proficiency in one or more programing languages
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of a team
* Good communication skills as evidenced by publications and presentations
Education/Experience: A Ph.D. degree in a STEM field related to seismology, geophysics, applied mathematics, computer science, physics, or other related fields. For a postdoctoral appointment the candidate must have completed all Ph.D. requirements by commencement of the appointment and must be within five years of completion of the Ph.D.
* Experience with signal processing and machine learning
* Experience with software development
* Experience with development or support of research projects and proposals
* Proficiency in Python and packages related to seismic analysis and machine learning
* Ability to bring creative solutions to complex problems
* Ability to plan and organize assignments to meet project deliverable
* Ability to obtain a Q clearance, which usually requires U.S. citizenship
Location: This position will be located in Los Alamos, NM.
The COVID vaccine is mandatory for all Laboratory employees, on-site contractors, and on-site subcontractors unless granted an accommodation under applicable state or federal law. This requirement will apply to those working on-site, those teleworking, and all new hires.
Note to Applicants:
To apply, please submit an online application including your CV and a one-page cover letter (https://lanl.jobs -> search IRC115487 -> Apply). The cover letter should include a short biography (2–3 lines), research interests, and future career goals. You should also explicitly address how you meet each of the minimum requirements and any of the desired skills, if applicable.
In addition to applying online, applicants please also email their CV and cover letter to Ting Chen (email@example.com
Competitive salaries are based on the date the PhD degree requirements were completed or the degree was awarded. On the anniversary of these dates, salaries are automatically adjusted to the next higher level, e.g. PhD + 0: $92,000; PhD + 1: $94,000, etc.
Outstanding candidates may be considered for prestigious fellowships.
For general information about being a LANL postdoc, visit the Postdoc Program http://www.lanl.gov/careers/career-options/postdoctoral-research/index.php website.
Where You Will Work
Located in beautiful northern New Mexico, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) is a multidisciplinary research institution engaged in strategic science on behalf of national security. Our generous benefits package includes:
* PPO or High Deductible medical insurance with the same large nationwide network
* Dental and vision insurance
* Free basic life and disability insurance
* Paid maternity and parental leave
* Award-winning 401(k) (6% matching plus 3.5% annually)
* Learning opportunities and tuition assistance
* Flexible schedules and time off (paid sick, vacation, and holidays)
* Onsite gyms and wellness programs
* Extensive relocation packages (outside a 50 mile radius)