Open Until: 07/09/2022
Open Until Filled
Verisk Analytics is a catastrophe/risk modeling firm with US offices located in San Francisco, CA and Boston, MA. We are currently hiring a Scientist/Seismologist in our Boston office. This position is entry level for those with a PhD or are near PhD completion.
* Manage the collection and analysis of a wide range of observational data, including historical earthquake catalogs and paleoseismological data, active faults and geodetic data, use them to develop seismicity and earthquake hazard models worldwide.
* Conduct research on probabilistic seismic hazard analysis (PSHA) for different types of seismic sources, improve and advance PSHA methodologies for robust short-term and long-term seismic hazard assessment at regional and site level.
* Collaborate with other seismologists and earthquake engineers to develop comprehensive and consistent earthquake risk assessment models
* Communicate earthquake hazard and risk model results to internal and external clients.
* Must have a strong background (through education and/or research) in active tectonics, earthquake geology and seismology, solid understanding of and experience in seismic hazard analysis.
* Must have the ability to interpret geological, geophysical, and historical earthquake data for characterization of seismic sources for hazard analysis.
* Good knowledge in probabilistic seismic hazard analysis and the ability to gather, integrate, and critically analyze data and results from all relevant sources of natural hazard information.
* Strong analytic skills and proficiency in scientific programming languages, including C++, FORTRAN, Python, R, with 2+ years of experience with at least one of the languages.
* Proficiency in working in Windows and Linux/Unix environment, including scripting in languages such as C-shell, Bash, Tcl/Tk.
* Highly motivated and self-directed with demonstrated experience in advancing complex projects and working with interdisciplinary teams of scientists.
* Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
* Ph.D. in Geophysics or M. Sc. in Geophysics with 3 or more years of research or industry experience in earthquake hazard modeling.
How to Apply:
The job posting and more information can be found at the link below:
Candidates are encouraged to apply online as soon as possible
This same team is also hiring for a more senior-level position with ground motion experience (previously posted).
Verisk Analytics is an equal opportunity employer.