Open Until: 02/28/2023
KBR is seeking an Electronic Field Technician to support the US Geological Survey at the Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory (ASL). The Electronic Field Technician will provide installation, maintenance, operations, and technical support for global seismological systems. Day to day duties will be performed at the ASL with frequent deployment to US and remote global locations.
The successful candidate will be responsible for a wide variety of equipment used for seismic monitoring, structural health monitoring, power distribution, and communications.
Relocation assistance may be available for qualified candidates.
***Must be U.S. Citizen***
• Installation of new sites and upgrading and maintaining existing sites with state-of-the-art digital seismic recording equipment. This requires the understanding of and the ability to install, configure, test, and troubleshoot sophisticated electronic components including but not limited to seismometers, data loggers, power systems, cellular modems, VSAT modems, and radios.
• Monitoring of station operations and assisting in addressing outages.
• Keeping proper records and documentation, including, but not limited to, station trip reports, deployment checklists, computer-based maintenance data collection, and instrument testing & equipment databases.
• Following security, safety, and environmental requirements associated with domestic and foreign travel.
• Traveling on a frequent basis to perform work in the US and at remote foreign locations.
• Associates degree in electronics or related field and 2+ years of related experience; in lieu of a degree, 6+ years of related experience.
Required Skills and Experience:
• Experience applying the principles, theories, and practices of electronics in order to install, repair, maintain, test, and modify digital electronic circuits, communications links, and electro-mechanical systems, and observatory quality digital seismological field equipment with critical tolerance or performance characteristics. Equivalent electronic systems experience may be substituted for direct seismic systems experience.
• An understanding and working knowledge of transducers including microbarographs, anemometers, magnetometers, GPS receivers, thermocouples and other ancillary state-of-health instrumentation.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Ability to work with people with diverse technological, language and cultural backgrounds.
• General experience using Microsoft Project, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
• Attention to detail.
• Valid state driver’s license and a safe driving record.
• Must be in good physical condition, having the ability to lift heavy objects, work in adverse conditions, climb vertical ladders up to distances of 120 feet, work in confined spaces, and maneuver in tight areas.
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Working knowledge of Global Seismographic Network (GSN) equipment and computer software tools.
• Ability to review seismic waveforms.
• Familiarity with computer aided design tools used to develop or record system configuration drawings.
About the Albuquerque Seismological Laboratory (ASL):
We install, operate, and maintain the US Geological Survey component of the Global Seismographic Network (GSN), the backbone of the Advanced National Seismic System (ANSS), the N4 Network, as well as a number of regional seismic networks. Along with operating these networks, the ASL ensures the quality and integrity of the data.
GSN and ANSS data is used for real-time seismic monitoring by the USGS National Earthquake Information Center (NEIC), for tsunami warnings by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Tsunami Warning Centers, for nuclear test monitoring by the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) and the US Air Force, and for scientific research. Our scientific research on earthquake processes, Earth structure and other geophysical problems is used by a broad community of international users.
In compliance with the U.S. federal government’s vaccine mandate, only candidates who are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have a reasonable accommodation or approved medical exception will be considered for this position.
KBR is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, veteran status, genetic information, union status and/or beliefs, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.