Open Until: 08/30/2019
The USGS seeks a Computer Scientist / Systems Administrator to join the Pacific Northwest Seismic Network (PNSN) in Seattle, WA.
The incumbent will support the earthquake mitigation mission of the USGS by operating and maintaining the ShakeAlert system; a 24/7 Earthquake Early Warning (EEW) system that distributes rapid warnings of expected strong shaking when an earthquake occurs. This is part of a multiorganizational cooperative project to build and operate a public EEW system for the West Coast of the United States.
- Installs, operates, configures, debugs, documents, and maintains ShakeAlert software and operational environment.
- Participates in leading and contributing to implementations and management of virtualized and cloud-based computing environments from inception to completion and serve as the subject matter expert for emerging cloud services and architectures.
- Plans, coordinates, tests, operates, troubleshoots and maintains server virtualization environments, virtualized storage networks, and cloud-based Paas/laaS environments.
- Operates, troubleshoots, and maintains computer systems for the development, testing, integration, production, and distribution of rapid automatic earthquake products in an on-call, 24/7 operational environment.
- Develops, implements, operates, configures, debugs, documents, and maintains AQMS and Earthworm software and related seismological applications that generate, distribute, and archive earthquake information products.
- Develops new and modifies existing software and scripts to implement various modules for the production version of AQMS and Earthworm, including earthquake detection algorithms and performance monitors.
Please see USAJobs for the full announcement: