QAAC webpage (committee use only - password required)
Quality Assurance Advisory Committee
The QAAC is an Advisory Committee that reports to the Data Services and Instrumentation Services Standing Committees.
Terms run through the end of the year indicated in parentheses.
Chair (from ISSC)
- Lekic, Vedran (University of Maryland) (2020)
Vice Chair (from DSSC)
- Herrmann, Robert (Saint Louis University) (2022)
Permanent Network Operator
- Savvaidis, Alexandros (University of Texas) (2020)
- Ruppert, Natalia (University of Alaska, Fairbanks) (2020)
Temporary Network Operators
- Porter, Ryan (Northern Arizona University) (2020)
Data Center Representatives
- Clinton, John (ETH Zurich) (2020)
Broader Scientific Community
- Moschetti, Morgan (USGS) (2020)
- Waldhauser, Felix (Columbia University) (2020)
IRIS Staff Coordinator
- Sharer, Gillian (IRIS DS)
- Carter, Jerry (IRIS DS)
- Busby, Bob (IRIS IS)
- unfilled (DSSC liason)
- Anderson, Kent (IRIS PASSCAL)
- Hafner, Katrin (IRIS GSN)
Charge to the Quality Assurance Advisory Committee (QAAC)
The QAAC exists to improve the overall quality of seismic and other data collected and managed by IRIS by promoting the “IRIS Quality Principles for Data Collection, Distribution, and Use”; coordinating the development and use of tools to measure data quality, and enhancing quality control feedback to network operators, thus encouraging high-quality, seismic datasets for the broad community. The QAAC advises the activities of IRIS as they relate to the quality of seismological datasets collected and / or managed by IRIS. The advisory committee includes representatives from various aspects of research and applied seismology. The QAAC reports jointly to the ISSC and DSSC.
The membership of the QAAC will be for a three-year term and includes 2 representatives from each of the following four categories for a total of 8 members. The membership will be drawn from network operators and the seismological research community with specific qualifications specific to one or more of the following categories:
- Permanent seismic network operators (drawn from the Global Seismic Network, US regional Networks, and International Networks)
- Temporary network operators (e.g. PASSCAL and OBSIP).
- Data Center Representatives (IRIS and FDSN) and
- The broader scientific community
Ex-officio members will include one liaison from each of the ISSC and DSSC, as well as the Directors of Data Services and Instrumentation Services.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Define the attributes of quality seismic data;
- Review established metrics and identify new metrics needed to evaluate the quality of seismic data;
- Provides guidance as to how Quality Assurance information is made available to network operators and the users of IRIS data.
- Discuss state-of-the-art processes in data quality assessment that enable optimal maintenance of seismological networks;
- Suggest efficient and informative feedback mechanisms to relay QC information to seismic network operators and data users;
- Promote the standardization of QC metrics within the FDSN; and
- Determine scientific utility of QA efforts and metric data.
Meetings will be held semiannually, usually by teleconference, with one face-to-face meeting to be held at the Fall AGU. Reports will be provided to the DSSC and ISSC.
Meeting Minutes and Action Items