In this activity students use a mechanical fault model to collect empirical data, develop logical arguments about earthquake re-occurrence, and skeptical review other groups arguments.
Grades 5 to 12
- Explain earthquakes as a part of the natural Earth System
- Describe the global trends for earthquake occurrence and size
- Students will be able to interpret a Gutenberg Richter plot (Frequency vs Magnitude)
- Critically analyze data generated by the Earthquake Machine and use the data to develop a position
- Describe the role sharing of science results with peers plays an important part of the science process.
- Sample data set collected with EQ Machine Lite
Prior to instruction
Before using this activity, it is recommended that you use EQ Machine Lite Activity 1 to introduce the model and its assumption to the students.