March 2006 Meeting Report

Data Management System Standing Committee meeting

Action Items

March 9-10, 2006
UUSS, Salt Lake City, UT

Action Item No. 1:

  •  
    • T. Ahern to write a letter to AGI regarding 3D Marine Seismic Active Source Data and request that the IRIS DMC receive a copy of this data for distribution to the research community.

    • Action: A letter was sent to AGI in September. A copy of the letter is in the DMSSC binder.

Action Item No. 2.:

  •  
    • P. Davis to give an update on GSN Station calibration at the next DMSSC.

    • Action: The issue of calibrating GSN stations and in particular, the performance of STS1 sensors, will be taken up by the GSNSC at their Fall meeting. Judging from the discussion of calibration at their last meeting, the GSNSC concurs that this is an important issue. Instituting a calibration program will be aided by new capabilities of the next generation DAS to be deployed beginning this year. Assessment of station calibrations throughout the network life can be accomplished using a study of tidal signals recorded on the very broadband sensors.

Action Item No. 3.:

  •  
    • B. Beaudoin to add to PASSCAL instrumentation distribution policy that the University of Washington can pick PASSCAL waveforms, store the picks in the DMC Oracle database and send the picks back to the PI. The PI can chose to opt out of providing this access to their data.

    • Action: A draft policy has been distributed to PASSCAL Standing Committee for their review. This draft will also be discussed at the DMSSC meeting. Draft including in DMSSC binder.

Action Item No. 4.:

  •  
    • B. Beaudoin to identify the number of experiments for which data has not yet been submitted to the DMS. This will be added as an agenda item on the October 2006 DMS SC meeting.

    • Action: This information has been included in the DMSSC binder for this meeting.

Action Item No. 5:

  •  
    • T. Ahern to pursue the candidates selected by the DMS Standing Committee members to fill the remaining open position on the committee.

    • Action:  Chaitan Baru agreed to serve on the DMSSC

Action Item No. 6:

  •  
    • T. Ahern to schedule a meeting between MG&G, UNAVCO and IRIS to discuss strategies on data integration.

    • Action: A meeting was held at the IRIS DMC between these three groups on August 15-16, 2006. Attending from Lamont were Bob Arko and Suzanne Carbotte, from UNAVCO Fran Boler, Greg Anderson and from IRIS Joanna Muench, Linus Kamb, Bruce Weertmann, Rob Casey, Mari Francissen and Tim Ahern. The group formed the GeoWebServices organization (GeoWS http://www.geows.org ).  The short term plan is to have a poster and demonstration ready by Fall AGU that illustrates cross data center discovery using OGC Web Mapping services. The GeoWS group is having bi-weekly meetings.

Action Item No. 7:

  •  
    • T. Ahern, P. Davis, K. Creager, H. Bolton to insure the DMC archives the IDA, ASL and University of Washington picks in the ORACLE database at IRIS.

    • Significant work has been performed in this area.  It has been decided that we will use the IASPEI Seismic Format for transferring this information to the DMC.  The U. of Washington will actually have a presence at the DMC where their analysts will work with IRIS staff to perform roughly 50% of the FARM picking with the other 50% to be done at the UofW.

Action Item No. 8:

  •  
    • T. Ahern to complete the writing of an article on the DMS for EOS. Authors to be current members of the DMSSC.

    • No Action on this item.

Action Item No. 9:

  •  
    • T. Ahern to draft communication to D. Simpson to take to CoCom regarding support from the DMSSC for a hot back-up system for the DMC.

    • Action:  The support documentation was written and submitted to  NSF EarthScope.  NSF did fund the Active Backup system at a level of $522,000 over three years.  This funding primarily supports the acquisition of the hardware.  Staff time and ongoing support will need to draw from the NSF Core support for the IRIS DMS.

Action Item No. 10:

  •  
    • T. Ahern to investigate reported latencies in data delivery, identify if there is a problem and whether the problem resides at the DMC.

    • Action: Latencies are now being routinely measured within the QUACK system.  One software issue related to delay for the real time feeds from the DMC was resolved and latencies for some data were reduced from ~200seconds to roughly ~20-30 seconds.  We continue to listen to discussions from the tsunami community related to what acceptable delays are.  In general real time feeds from the IRIS DMC are only delayed by 10s of seconds from real time.

Action Item No. 11:

  •  
    • T.Ahern to ensure that the win32 to mSEED conversion utilities get posted on the IRIS website.