Standing Committee Meeting Report Global Seismographic Network
March 2017

SPRING  2017 GSN STANDING COMMITTEE MEETING
February 21 & 22, 2017, & March 6, 2017  (Virtual)

ACTION ITEMS

  1. Action Item (Hafner): Produce a table of all acronyms for the types of sensors
  2. Action Item (Park): Respond with a statement of interest for the BoD for CCArray, and points of intersection with the GSN
  3. Action Item (Irving, Park, and Wilson): Form ideas and organization of what to do with the WWSSN film chip records
  4. Action Item: Schedule a call for GSNSC endorsement of the procurement plan for the remaining $600k in DOE funds (USGS needs to start submitting paperwork by March 13 (to have everything obligated by the end of March)
  5. Action Item (Park): Working Groups: GSN in the Oceans, to be convened after BoD approval and Review of GSN Design Goals, to be formed after discussion during Fall SC meeting
  6. Action Item (Park): GSN SC response to the GSN External Review, to be shared for review with SC before the next conference call

 

MEETING SUMMARY

  1. The GSNSC endorsed efforts to relocated II.KWAJ to another island on the Kwajalein Atoll.
  2. Network Operators were to continue testing the new VBB sensors, and make a recommendation for the remaining sensor procurement on March 6, 2017
  3. The GSNSC endorsed replacing the vault sensor with a borehole sensor at some of the GSN stations (where appropriate)
  4. The GSNSC approved the SAGE YR5 GSN budget
  5. IDA, ASL and the GSN PM presented updated activity reports
  6. The GSNSC reviewed the CCArray Concept as requested by the IRIS BoD, and will draft a document expressing their interest or concerns
  7. The Sensor Procurement Plan for the remaining ~$600K of DOE funds was presented and endorsed by the GSNSC on March 6, 2017