E&O Standing Committee
February 29 – March 1, 2008
• IF will work with E&O staff when the proposals come in from the evaluators.
• Laura Serpa, Glenn Kroeger and Laura Wetzel volunteered to further develop ideas regarding Educational Affiliates for the next E&O meeting.
• GK and LW will put together an agenda for the pre-meeting workshop and one SIG.
• KF, IF, and JT will develop the second SIG, and will potentially contact Stephanie Hanna and Brian Atwater to help.
• LW and KF offered to help with the new REU proposal.
• SE, MH & JT to get together in the near future to more fully discuss future collaboration between IRIS and RESESS.
• MW—Determine what can be done at the IRIS annual meeting to engage the entire IRIS community in a discussion about researchers’ needs, NSF needs, and IRIS needs for outreach.
• MT —Create a Wiki to address outreach issues.
• KR: Place newer tomography figure as recommended by MW. Remove subjective or inflammatory language such as “negligence” throughout, including in the PowerPoint slide with the AP photo.
• MW will solicit from the IRIS community tomographic images for potential use in a poster. Target audience for poster: middle- to high-school students. Hence, images must be “iconic.” Publications Subcommittee consisting of LS and GP will assist MW in selecting tomography images.
• KF—Will contact Chuck to see what he needs to further develop the animations.
• JT--Develop a new plan to assess what effect the AS1s have had on student learning.
• MW will send an email to the E&O committee within a week to discuss new initiatives to justify a 10% budget increase.
• Move “Seismographs in Schools” earlier in the agenda for future meeting.
• Hour-long conference call in upcoming weeks initiated by MW or JT.
• Send suggestions to MW for new committee member