IRIS Education and Outreach Committee meeting
March 25–26, 2004
- Integrate USESN website into IRIS website
- Registration of http://www.usesn.edu
- Contact PEPP PIs to retrieve old instruments
- Loan Ken Smith a PEPP instrument for trial with his software
- Test GEE
- Further develop software comparison table; provide recommendations about seismic display and analysis software
- Consider Santa Cruz and Arizona State for IRIS lecture.
- Contact Walter Mooney about impressions of lectureship venues
- Develop broadcast message and online form to encourage community to post information about a region where an earthquake of interest occurred.
- Continue educational matrix development
- Finish museum lite display
- Put DBIS video on web site
- Develop workshop plan for recruiting educational affiliates including agendas and recruitment list. Also, review current criteria.
- Write synopsis of opinion regarding CSU education affiliate application.
- Assist in implementation of first Research Experiences for Educational Affiliates (REEA) application, and develop long-term REEA plan for educational affiliates.
- Develop cover letter to promote IRIS intern program and send to geosciences departments
- Further develop student internship program proposal for NSF. Re-work to include summer field camp. Optimize budget. Improve diversity component.
- Create internship poster for IRIS workshop
- Contact SACNAS regarding potential sponsorship of reception at the UT Austin Institute of Geophysics
- Develop ties to SACNAS
- Explore outreach strategy for reaching diverse audience; develop regional diversity/outreach effort using IRIS material; focus on Los Angeles and El Paso
- Send letter to Ex-Comm to endorse AGU diversity statement
- Update hazards poster to include volcanoes and work with Greg van der Vink
- Provide resources for GSA CD
- Create video subcommittee to develop video from existing clips for teaching
- USARRAY siting/outreach subcommittee to be formed
- Create mock up of 3 potential EarthScope posters for Ex-Comm
- Send motion regarding EarthScope E&O development to Ex-Comm
- Write up SIG session description for IRIS workshop
- Put together a list of IRIS initiatives that can help PIs with NSF Criteria 2
- High-School Summer Camp subcommittee to be formed