Last week was spent largely dealing with computer problems. We set up my own account on Harmony's computer, which involved re-installing all the random Unix tools involved with running RSQSim. Suffice it to say that things didn't always go smoothly. Lots of things had to be figured out which should have been written down, a valuable lesson for the future. Coincidentally, I also heard from my mentor last summer asking about some issues I had with the program was running last summer. Should have done the same thing there!
By the end of the week we did get down to running the actual fault model in RSQSim (and dealing with some issues there as well, of course). Basically, I will be running simulations of a shallow thrust fault, representing the plate interface of a subduction zone, with a seismogenic zone, slow slip zone, and a creeping zone. RSQSim generates a record of relatively large events (>Mw 4 or so) over hundreds to thousands of years. This will be the primary 'data' I will be working with this summer, although of course model results are not 'real', so I'm not sure you can really call it that. We will of course be comparing it to real data, to make sure the results are realistic. The main advantage of working from a modeling perspective for this issue is the longer time-scales you can work with in a model, orders of magnitude longer than we have from actual seismic data. I will be varying different things with different runs of the model, so in that sense it will be entirely unique work. RSQSim was originally designed for strike-slip faults, but Harmony has adapted it to model subduction zones. At this point I have a working (I hope) knowledge of how to run it and mess with different parameters, and should be getting to into the meat of my project in the next few days.
You must be logged in to post a comment.