Well, this was my last week of working on data analysis before going to the field. My original goal was to mostly write my abstract by the end of the week, but while I FAILED to do that, I do feel that I accomplished quite a bit. I spent the week mostly looking for trends in the move out curves. After days of looking at the basin geometry for the 7 main layers of the basin sediments, I finally found some hopefully interesting trends in the data. After finding these trends, I started working on some figures for my AGU poster. I still have a lot of work to do but here is a rough preview of one of my figures illustrating a few of the trends in the move out curves:
The top row is the move out for the real data, the middle row is synthetic data I created to “match” the data, and the bottom row is the velocity model for the top 5 kilometers that I used for my synthetics. From left to right are three different seismic stations, the left station in a shallow part of the basin, the middle station an intermediate, and the right station over a deep part of the basin.
There are large negative amplitudes (blue) very shallow in the move out curves for the part of the basin with thick slow/shallow layers (station in the right-hand column). The trend seems to be that as the slow layers get thicker, the early arrivals in the move out curves increase in amplitude, and all of the reverberations shift later in time slightly and appear to be deeper in the crust. Therefore, this could be effecting our crustal thickness measurements, making the Moho appear deeper than it actually is! I’m hoping to have enough time once I get back from the field to change the assumed velocities of the CCP stacks (compensating for these slow upper layers) and recalculate crustal thickness.
While I’m excited to have finally found some interesting trends in my data, I’m really looking forward to the next 2 weeks of fieldwork in Kentucky… We will be “camping”!
You must be logged into the CMS to post a comment.