I've been working on my research for a week now, but I'm still in the initial stages. On Monday, I used the program JWEED to pick earthquakes to get data from. Since I'm doing shear wave spliting analysis, I have to use events in a certain window (about 80 to 150 degrees from the reciever). I am using four seismographs along the Saint Lawrence Seaway: A11, A21, A54, A64 (exciting and descriptive names, I know). These have been active as broadband stations since 2000, so used events from 2000 until present. Once I got the event data, my advisor sent in a request for the data.
The next day, the data had come in, and it was time to get to work. Well, kind of to work. This week has just been getting the data ready. I will be doing the shear wave splitting analysis in a program called Seismic Analysis Code (SAC). But be able to do that analysis, I have to get the data in the correct format and do various other things, like get theoretical arrival times. There has been a lot of time checking just to make sure the data is useable. I started learning python during my three days at home before I started research, and I was able to put some of my new knowledge to work for me in writing some scripts to make some of the checking automated. It was cool to be able to apply something I had just learned that quickly. Hopefully, I will complete the initial data processing soon and start actually analysing the data!
finding how many
ways one can eat potatoes
I should buy more food
You must be logged into the CMS to post a comment.