The past couple of days have been filled with data. I've spent the majority of my time downloading, extracting, filtering, and organizing in preparation for the waveform cross-correlation, which will scan a template event against a period of continuous data in order to find the similarity of waveforms. By running the cross correlation on my first period of continuous data, I got the favorable result, which is a seismograph with a single spike at 1.0. As in statistics, correaltions can run from -1.0 to 1.0, with 1.0 being an identical match "self detection". This was reassurance that the correlation was working as expected. (I'm not sure if I'm able to upload pictures using this editor, but believe me, it looks "pretty".)
During our first period of continuous data, which spanned 10 days, we were able to successfully detect a number of events not listed in our earthquake catalog. (Which is pretty cool!) I am now in the process of determining the magnitude of the new events, and expecting more good news very soon.
Short and sweet.
You must be logged into the CMS to post a comment.