Yesterday was a very exciting day on the boat! To start the day off, I learned the basic signal processing procedure that we perform on all the data we bring in daily. It is really cool to work on a real set of data, be to look at the final stack and give a preemptive analysis of what that particular survey line could mean scientifically. Also, it gives me something to do every day that will take up an hour or two.
Anyways, as a result of the processing data and monitoring the equipment, I spent about two-thirds of my day in the lab, out of the sun. This was mildly depressing. So, when 1:30 swung around, I decided that I was going to switch positions with one of the people that were watching the streamer and airgun to make sure nothing got tangled up. When I got out there, however, it was cloudy so I veered of my course for the stern and headed for the kitchen where I made myself a cup of coffee and talked with the engineer, James, for a while.
When I got out of the kitchen, it was drizzling. Lei Guo had moved all of our valuables out of the elements and into the wench house on the Harvey Pete (the barge attached to the side of the Strong). Brian, Lei Guo, and I stood in the house and watched the rain, which slowly started to pick up. Seismic operations were shut down for the moment, because our safety became a more important factor than science (I know, shocking!).
Soon after, the lightning and thunder came and the fog set in. The lighting flashes lit up the entire sky, from being defused by the fog, and the thunder shook our boat’s foundations. Then the wind picked up, which took the big, fat droplets of rain, broke them apart, and flung them at us with great velocity. Everything in the house instantly became plastered with water if it was not behind something else. To top it all off, in the middle of all this, it started to hail. Coincidentally, and fortunately, this was the day that I decided to stuff my foul weather gear into my backpack to bring to the boat.
After about an hour or so, the storm passed us to the south and the sun emerged once more. Everyone was still onboard and uninjured, so we continued our acquisition for another 90 minutes before calling it a day. All in all, I got some good pictures (below) and an amazing movie (that will be on Facebook) of the storm, and we only fell short of our goal (of 15 miles per day) by a measly 1.4 miles.
In other notes, we added a transducer to the middle of the streamer yesterday, to see how deep it was sitting, and found that it was floating way too deep. As a result, we added flotation along the streamer today along with two extra transducers. Also, we saw some pretty cool stuff on the preliminary data from the hydrophones yesterday so I am very excited to process this data.
Also, I found out yesterday that Ado and I were hit by the same storm actually, since we just can’t help but do everything together. She was in Arkansas at the same time, as I am sure she will blog about
You must be logged into the CMS to post a comment.