Last week (6/3 - 6/7) was one filled with mixed emotions. On Monday I was given my first insight into what the focus of my research would be. Honestly, I had no idea what my mentor was describing to me, but after reading a few papers it began to make more sense.
My project goals are:
To use Earthscope USArray data to detect more events in Texas from 2009-2011.
To use the newly found events to study possible interaction with hydrofracturing.
Some accomplishments from last week:
Read related research papers by Frohlich and Horton.
Downloaded continuous station data for a 10-day period from the IRIS DMC (16 total stations).
Downloaded, extracted, and organized data for template events (67 total template events).
Made a Makefile! Correction: I made what I thought was a Makefile.. I actually wrote a bash script, which was still very helpful and a lot quicker!
Began picking P and S wave arrival times in SAC for each template event.
And I guess I learned the difference between a Makefile a bash script if you want to count that lol.
My goals for the summer aren't too convoluted. This is great opportunity for me to get some quality research under my belt. By the end of the summer I hope to become a more efficient and independent researcher, know my true feelings towards conducting research, understand more about seismology and geophysics, and ultimately, experience enough to decide whether I have a passion for a particular field of the geosciences.
I probably just lost all two of my viewers somewhere during my rant lol.
Until next week!
You must be logged into the CMS to post a comment.