How are the tectonic plates related to earthquakes and volcanoes? This interactive relief and bathymetric map reveals tectonic plates, as well as world-wide earthquakes and volcanoes. By looking at each you can see a positive correlation between all three. Touch "Composite" button to put it all together.
VIEW the interactive in a separate tab, by clicking on "Open Resource". (Note some browsers lack the plugins for rollovers.)
OR click Download All. AFTER downloading, you can Open either:
- by using Flash player, or
- by clicking File > Open from within your browser, find the file on your computer, and it should open as an interactive file.
- Earthquakes line up along tectonic plate boundaries
- Volcanoes are parallel to, and close to plate boundaries
- The contact between the plates undergoes 3 F's: Forces, Faults, and Friction, which is what causes the earthquakes.
- The volcanoes are found where plates oceanic plates are diving beneath another plate, thus they are close to (~100 km away from) convergent plate boundaries.