The arrival times of P and S waves from an earthquake are used to determine the location of an earthquake. Each station on the interactive map recorded an earthquake with a characteristic seismogram. Roll over the stations to see the epicenter triangulated. Touch buttons to watch movie of seismic waves, or touch "Walk-run" button to see wave travel can be demonstrated with a class.
VIEW the interactive in a separate tab, by clicking on "Open Resource". (Note some browsers lack the plugins for rollovers.)
OR click Download All. AFTER downloading, you can Open either:
- by using Flash player, or
- by clicking File > Open from within your browser, find the file on your computer, and it should open as an interactive file.
Rolling over buttons indicated by pointing fingers reveals:
- Information and seismograms from 3 widely spaced seismic stations
- Use the stations to triangulate an epicenter location
- Watch the earthquake waves progress from epicenter to each station.
- Watch the "Walk-run" classroom activity animated in upper bos.