Between 2001 and 2011, more than 18,500 seismic events between Magnitudes 5 and 9.3 were recorded and located by the US Geological Survey. This list highlights some of these recent seismic events that are of special interest because they have caused notable geologic changes to our landscape or devastating destruction to our society.
- Many factors, beyond the size of an earthquake, contribute to the impact quakes have on society.
Requesting Fact Sheets:
To request hardcopies of E&O materials, please send an email toEandOproduct@iris.edu with the following information:
- Names of item(s) you are requesting along with respective quantities. Please list posters and one-pagers on separate lines.
- Full mailing address, including phone number, where the materials should be sent.
- Indicate what purpose the materials will be serving.
- Date materials are needed by (if applicable).
PLEASE NOTE: Time-sensitive requests must be sent at least three weeks beforethe date they are needed. When e-mailing a time-sensitive request, please write "Time-Sensitive Request" in the subject line.