Software Engineer II/III
UNAVCO, a non-profit membership-governed consortium, facilitates geoscience research and education using geodesy.
For nearly three decades, UNAVCO has spearheaded the utilization of cutting-edge technology while providing robust operational support for researchers exploring tectonics (earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics), the deformation of ice, the Earth's response to ground water, sea level, and aspects of the hydrosphere, and atmosphere. Our instrumentation toolbox includes high-precision GPS, LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) for Airborne Laser Swath Mapping and Terrestrial Laser Scanning, InSAR (Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar), and more. We host the NSF’s Geodesy Data Archive and provide cyberinfrastructure to support the full data life cycle and interoperability with national and international Earth science Data Centers.
Our long-term success depends on development of a forward-looking, diversified workforce that draws on and cultivates talent across the demographic spectrum of gender and ethnicity, across international boundaries, and across scientific disciplines.
We invite candidates to review the position description below and to submit an application by going to https://unavcocareers.silkroad.com/. Flexible work arrangements may be available. This position will be open until filled; screening date begins 5/2/12.
This position will be filled at the Software Engineer II or III level depending on knowledge, skills and experience of the candidate hired. This position may be filled as Full Time or Part Time.
As a Software Engineer you will provide critical support to the Geodesy Data Archive functions. You will collaborate with other software engineers and scientists on systems requirements and design, and you will develop software systems and web tools supporting distribution of data and metadata to our global network of researchers and data centers.
We have opportunities for special projects to utilize your unique set of skills to help us build the next generation of tools for leveraging geodetic science to the next level.
- Develops and maintains software for metadata and data search and delivery to UNAVCO’s global network of researchers and data centers through database backed web pages using Java, Flex, PHP and Google Maps API.
- Develops web tools, forms and reports supporting population of databases and distribution of data and metadata
- Participates in the team that develops and supports software for new and evolving UNAVCO projects in support of archiving of data and products for GPS, InSAR, LiDAR and other data types
- Collaborates with data engineers and scientists on schema requirements and designs and implements schema designs
- Collaborates and consults with the Web team on Web interface corporate standards, user-experience design, and Web site integration
Skills and Knowledge, Position-specific
The individual hired must have these skill levels in the associated knowledge areas:
- Proficient or advanced skills in object oriented software development, preferably with Java, and with class hierarchies and abstraction.
- Proficient in SQL and in programming queries using database access with JDBC or Perl DBD
- Proficient or advanced skills with Subversion or a similar source code control environment
- Experience with computing in networked UNIX environments, preferably with Solaris and RH Linux; working skills on MS Windows and MacOS
- Proficient skills with UNIX shell scripting
Desired Skills and Knowledge
- Proficient in development of web services using technologies including SOAP, XML, HTTP, Tomcat, and Axis2.
- Proficient in scripting with Perl, Python, or Ruby.
- Experience with HTML5 development.
- Experience with Adobe BlazeDS Java remoting.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems and a minimum of four years (II-level) or six years (III-level) software development experience OR equivalent combination of education and experience.