The QAWG is a sub-committee of the Data Services Standing Committee.
|Dan McNamara (Chair)||USGS|
|Goran Ekstrom||FDSN and Scientific Community|
|Paul Bodin||Regional Networks|
|John Clinton||International Community|
|Thorne Lay||Scientific Community|
|Mike West||Regional Networks|
|Tim Ahern||IRIS DS|
|Bob Woodward||IRIS IS|
|Kent Anderson||GSN PM|
|Rob Casey||IRIS DMC|
|Sarah Ashmore||IRIS DMC|
|Jessica Lodewyk||IRIS OBSIP|
Charge to the Quality Assurance Working Group (QAWG)
The QAWG exists to improve the overall quality of all seismic data entering the IRIS DMC, promote tools to organize high-quality, research-ready, seismic data sets for the broad community, and enhance quality control feedback to network operators. The QAWG advises the activities of IRIS as they relate to data quality of seismological data entering and leaving the IRIS DMC. The working group includes a chair drawn from the DSSC, and includes representatives from various aspects of research and applied seismology. Specifically, the working group should include representation from the global seismic network community, the regional network community, the international and national network communities (ANSS), the portable experiment community (PASSCAL) and the research community at large.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Define the attributes of quality seismic data;
- Review established metrics and identify new metrics needed to evaluate the quality of seismic data;
- Design and consider attributes of data quality visualization tools;
- Discuss state of the art processes in data quality assessment that serve the optimal maintenance of a network of scientific data capture;
- Develop efficient and informative feedback mechanisms to relay QC information to seismic network operators and data users;
- Promote the standardization of QC metrics within the FDSN; and
- Determine scientific utility of QA efforts and metric data;
Meetings will be held quarterly, usually by teleconference, with one face-to-face meeting to be held at the Fall AGU. Quarterly reports will be made to the DSSC and to the GSNSC and made available to any other IRIS committee that express an interest. Work of the QAWG would be quasi-monthly with quarterly reporting to IRIS DSSC and to the GSNSC as well as other instrumentation services committees.