IRIS EMC — Generalized X-section Viewer
In version 2.0 ALL Earth model variables, contained in the netCDF model file, are available for plotting.
The IRIS EMC Generalized X-section Viewer displays a vertical slice through a selected Earth model along a great circle path with given start and end points. The quantity contoured depends on the selected model. Values along the requested profile are derived from the model grid points using bicubic interpolation. The horizontal axis is the distance in km from the start point and the vertical axis is depth below the surface.
• Users have the option of adding the following auxiliary data to the section by checking the corresponding menu boxes:
— topography based on the ETOPO5 elevation data
● N largest events within ±0.5°("N" defined by user) from the IRIS database (service.iris.edu/fdsnws/event/1/)
– – Slab1.0, a three-dimensional compilation of global subduction geometries, separated into regional models for each major subduction zone.
—Hayes, G. P., D. J. Wald, and R. L. Johnson (2012), Slab1.0: A three-dimensional model of global subduction zone geometries,
—J. Geophys. Res., 117, B01302, doi:10.1029/2011JB008524.
—The slab line(s), if present, represents projection of slab(s) (earthquake.usgs.gov/research/data/slab) onto the profile
— plate boundaries based on the information available from www.ig.utexas.edu/research/projects/plates
▲ volcano locations based on www.ngdc.noaa.gov/hazard
— stations from the IRIS database (service.iris.edu/fdsnws/station/1/). Stations are located within ±0.1° from the profile
- - - velocity regions of the selected reference velocity model
• Use the companion interactive Google Map to select the region of interest and also see the extent of the selected model.
• There is a known issue with the profiles that cross the prime meridian!
• You may further refine the plot on your own computer by downloading the associated Generic Mapping Tools
(the bundle download link appears under the image once the processing is complete).
• The generated images will be removed after 7 days
• On the map the area covered by each selected model is shown by the corresponding color
• Move the map markers to set the latitude and longitude values